Massage Therapy: Which One Is Right For You?
Massage therapy is more accessible to the public than ever before. As massage becomes more available, the variety of options can be confusing.
Do you want a Swedish or deep tissue massage?
When a therapist advertises their skill in myofascial release, what are they talking about? How do you find out what kind of massage education your therapist has received?
- Swedish Massage Therapy -The most common type is Swedish massage-what most people think of when they think of massage. It features the use of long, flowing strokes. They include effleurage (gliding), petrissage (kneading), tapotement (tapping), friction and vibration.
- Swedish massage has many benefits including increased circulation. Because blood carries oxygen and nutrients to the tissues, this is thought to promote healing. Of course, relaxation is a major benefit of Swedish massage.
- Deep Tissue Massage -Most therapists also offer deep tissue massage, sometimes integrated with Swedish massage. Deep tissue work concentrates on the muscles below the superficial muscles. It is usually done on a restricted area, especially where a client is experiencing pain or cramping from overuse.
- Myofascial Release -Clients seeking pain release may also seek out a therapist skilled in the use of myofascial release techniques. Fascia is the connective tissue that surrounds our muscles, blood vessels and nerves. When it is stretched, muscle tension is released. Myofascial release techniques include stretching and skin rolling.
- Trigger point therapy is also used to treat painful muscles. Trigger points are what we know as muscle knots and can be responsible for pain in another part of the body. For example, a trigger point in the shoulder can refer pain to the forearm. They are treated with sustained pressure until the knot relaxes. 출장마사지
- Traditional Massage
Besides these therapeutic techniques, more exotic modalities are becoming more available.
Thai massage relies heavily on stretching and deep massage techniques. It is generally performed on a mat on the floor. The client may wear loose clothing that is easy to move in. As with other Asian modalities, the practitioner follows channels on the body where energy is believed to flow. In Thai massage, they care called Sen lines. In Chinese massage they are called meridians; in Indian massage, nadis.
Although Thai massage is thought to have been influenced by Indian, or Ayurvedic, massage one major difference involves the use of lubricants. While Thai massage does not use oils, the use of oils is integral to Ayurvedic massage.
Specific oils may be used on different parts of the body and for different clients depending on their dosha, or constitution. These oils are believed to offer therapeutic benefits.
The requirements for practicing massage therapy vary from state to state. Most states require some type of licensing or certification, but a few do not. The type of massage education required varies as well. A good source to research state requirements is the Federation of State Massage Therapy Boards, which has information for all of the states currently requiring licensure. Or you can contact your own state to find out what is required to practice massage therapy.